Sunday, June 27, 2010

There's No Place Like Home!

There’s No Place Like Home
It’s almost been a year since we stopped going to Kingdom Life Fellowship. We went to church there for over 10 years. It’s been such a huge adjustment. We spent last summer alternating between two great churches to try and find where we were supposed to be. We decided on Morning Star Community church. There’s so many wonderful things about this church body. I’m very glad that we go there and serve there. I love that it takes 3 minutes to get there. I love that it’s a multicultural church. I’ve grown so much from that single thing. I love who the pastors are and what they’re about. I really love the people. There’s so much more that makes it an awesome place to be a part of.

All that being said…and meant…I’ve really been struggling with FEELING HOME SICK. I do. I can’t help it. It started about a month ago and has just gotten stronger. I miss our old church. I’ve missed it the whole time. I’ve gone through seasons where I didn’t think about it too much, and a little while where I thought I was over it, but I’m not. I still love everyone so much. I miss being a big part of their lives. I miss going and knowing everyone. I miss their connection to our family. I miss the feeling of the fact that they know everything about Miles and how they’ve prayed for him for years. I like that many of them have seen me in my darkest valley and my highest high. I love that most of my kids have gone to church with a lot of their kids since they were born. I miss the music. I cannot tell you how much I miss the music. I miss the encouragement from people who have seen me walk through tragic times and come out peaceful on the other side. I miss how they call greatness out of you. I miss having deep relationships with almost every family. I miss watching the other kids grow up that I’ve known for so long. I miss the feeling of being a part of something that’s bigger than just a Sunday morning meeting. I miss the “everyday” living that the people do so well. I miss going over to people’s house during the day and hanging out or going out together at the spur of the moment. I miss the Pastor. I miss going to church with my best friends. I miss the community of the place. I even miss Clyde.

When I go back there for a special occasion I feel like an out of towl relative. I’m always welcomed so lovingly. I’ve gone back to a Halloween festival, a women’s guest speaker, a Christmas program and a funeral. Each time I realize again what I’m missing and it hurts.

I’m not saying that I want to go back. I’m not saying that I don’t like where I am. I’m not saying the place I’m at now won’t turn into more. I’m just saying that I feel Home Sick. Lately I’ve been having this mental picture of me gathering my things and dragging them behind me while I walk down Hwy 18 to get to Clyde. Then days like yesterday when we went to our church picnic I fall in love with the people of Grace Point (name changed) even more.

I don’t know what to do about it. I don’t know that there is anything to do about it. It’s true though, There’s No Place Like Home.

1 comment:

God's Warrior Bride said...

Oh Brandi I just loved what you had to say about being Home Sick and I want you know that I miss you all so much. While numerous peole have left and are missed, you and your precious family, your sweet mother and Julie, Jeff & the kids leaving has left a whole to size of Texas in my heart. You all are MY family. And, I long for the return of all my precious family members. I love you and miss you all. I guess what I am trying to say is I too am home sick - home sick for my family.