Saturday, December 30, 2006

Wheelchair Talk

Here's something that I get to see that most of you don't:
When we take Miles places when he's in his wheelchair I get to see people at their best. It's so neat to watch people get out of our way at Wal-Mart. Even during the busy Christmas shopping season people did their best to give us the right of way. They give us plenty of room when they see us coming with Miles. I get to see people's face soften as they look at Miles. They smile at him. Some touch his head and say kind words to him. I hear comments like, "Oh, poor fella" or "How adorable" and things like that. People at church kiss him when they pass. It's all very sweet.

I always enjoy the special attention we get when we take our whole family somewhere with Miles in his wheelchair. Melody who is three is usually the one pushing Miles down the aisle. People get a kick out of that. She looks so sweet pushing her little brother. It's been a treat to me to see so many kind hearted people look at my son in such a tender way.


The other day I had a man come over from the medical supply company that we got the wheelchair from. He had to make some adjustments to the wheelchair for Miles. When it came in Miles was still in his spica cast so we couldn't get it fitted at the time. The man came over and he was working on the wheelchair when he said, "This chair reminds me of the very first wheelchair that I worked on about six years ago. It was tiny like this one, but it was for a girl. She had that thing in gold. They said that she would never walk or talk or sit up or anything, and I thought to myself...give the girl a chance! Well, this week her family brought in that chair to donate it because the girl didn't need it anymore. She was running around everywhere. That made my day!" That man's whole face was so bright as he talked about that little girl. I told him that I look forward to the day when I can bring in Miles' chair to donate because he doesn't need it anymore.

What a glorious day that will be! Until then I will enjoy the gentleness of people as they watch us stroll down the aisles at Wal-Mart.

Jan 1 Jan 2 Jan 3 our church is having a three day fast and around the clock prayer for 5 people in our body that need healing miracles. Miles is one of those people. Hopefully I will get to turn that wheelchair in on Jan. 4.

2 comments:

Rachel said...

I'm going to try to make my thoughts make sense here: Isn't that awesome that the man put so much time and energy into making that wheelchair?!?! How proud he was of it and how you were not proud of it when he brought it? And, to think about being able to give it back to him? And for that little girl, he thought "Give her a chance"? I don't think it's a mistake this guy is in your home and was the one to make Miles' wheelchair. Sounds like he was sent at just the right time -- just like an angel. I'm so glad he shared that with you today. Some people would have just blown him off and thought, "Whatever", but you embraced the thought of doing that with the very chair he was working on. I can't imagine the excitement for him when he will take Miles' chair back from you!! He was so excited to make it, but I'm sure he'll be more excited to take it back!!

A-lauf said...

I always think of Forrest Gump when I see Miles. Not the weird things forrest did, but the braces falling off and him running amazingly fast and everyone around him was astonished. I won't be astonished when it happens because that is exactly what we are believing for. Don't be surprised when it happens.