Tuesday, September 05, 2006

I'm going to see Jesus walk on the water.

I was doing my WOW homework while sitting at Subway and I received some wonderful revelation!!!

We were to read Matthew 14:22-33. It's about when Jesus walks on the water. Of course I've read the story before but today there was more insight into the situation. After reading the passage the question in the homework was, "Did the wind die down before or after Christ told his disciples not to be afraid?" The answer is After. Then it asked, "What would be the basis of their courage since the storm continued to rage?"

I really had to think about this. The basis of their courage was the fact that Jesus was God so they should have been comforted that He was going to take care of them.

This is what Beth Moore said about this situation:
The point is not that we have nothing to fear and that cowardice is simply an unreasonable state of mind. His presence is the basis for courage in our storms. Christ did not say, "Take courage! I am calming the storm. Don't be afraid." Instead, with the winds still raging, He said, "Take courage! It is I. Don't be afraid." He does not always immediately calm the storm, but He is always willing to calm His child on the basis of His presence. "Don't worry! I'm right here! I know the winds are raging and the winds are high, but I am God over both. If I let them continue to swell, it's only because I want you to see me walk on the water. This set of prints can be seen only in the storm. I'm in this with you, and I love you more than you'll ever know." We'll probably never learn to enjoy our storms, but we can learn to enjoy God's presence in the storm!

Oh my goodness this is good! This is just what I was talking about with the whole bean spout and Oak of Righteousness thing! Jesus could have just stopped the storm like he had before, but the disciples would not have seen him walk on the water. Jesus could have already rescued me from all this with Miles then I would not have the privilege to see him walk on the water. It's so exciting! I loved the part where it talks about that Jesus knows the winds are raging and the waves are high, but if he continues to let them swell it's only because he wants me to see him walk on the water. What a life changing day that will be.

Verse 33 says, "Then the disciples worshiped him, "You really are the Son of God!" they exclaimed.

No comments: