Tuesday, February 03, 2009

The Good Thing.

Today was one of those days that I chose the “good thing” to do. I could have done several things. I had some everyday things to do. I had an idea to do something that would have been a lot of work, but it would have been fun. Still, I chose the “good thing.”
Miles was sick today. That’s a strange statement because Miles is always sick it seems, but today was different. Today he looked sick, acted sick and had a fever for possibly the first time in his life. His body was having seizures constantly because his body was so out of sorts. I could have just done his usual routine, but today I chose the “good thing.”
I didn’t wash the dishes.
I didn’t fold the laundry.
I didn’t make myself breakfast.
I didn’t hang out on the internet.
I didn’t shower and get dressed up.
I didn’t pick up my nephews for a play date.

I chose the “good thing.”

After I took the kids to school I gave Miles all his medicine to try to calm his body down and then I did the unthinkable.

I took him to my bed, and without any music or entertainment I held him and kissed him and told him how much I love him. I did that until lunch time.

He stayed there beside me with such a content heart. His arms were wrapped around mine and it actually felt like he was begging me not to get up. His body turned cooler and finally quit shaking. As I lay next to him all felt right with the world. I knew there wasn’t anything more important that I could have been doing.

You know, during the day I stay busy all day. There are so many things to do, and I actually enjoy doing them. I, like everyone else have so many directions that I’m pulled at all the time. Today though, it felt so invigorating to leave all those things behind to just hold my little boy that needed to be loved on.

Love Never Fails.

4 comments:

trish said...

I love you. You are beautiful, and the "Good thing" you chose, is the God thing Miles needed.

Unknown said...

YOU ARE THE MOST AMAZING MOTHER I HAVE EVER KNOWN. I SWEAR THAT YOU HAVE A SUPER WOMEN CAPE IN YOUR CLOSET SOMEWHERE.

Becky said...

And you know what...it was just the thing he needed!! I can't tell you how "warm" this blog was! Bryan and I's song is "One more day" by Diamond Rio...it goes on to say if I had to wish for anything I'd wish for one more day. Oh, I pray that you have many, many more days like this one! :)

Anonymous said...

I was almost in tears at the end of this blog. It's so wonderful to pause from the business of life and hold your baby.