Monday, November 06, 2006

Peace to Josh in the Name of Jesus!

This morning when I woke up I asked the Lord to be Master of my day. I haven't thought to ask that in a very long time. Well, after I got up and the events of the day started rolling I thought that God must not have heard me because my day was a tangled mess of double booked appointments for Miles, then cancelled appointments, chasing down insurance cards and somehow grocery shopping in the middle of that.

Since we have moved into our new home I have not received Miles' monthly insurance cards in the mail. This is a big problem! This means that the first time in the month that he has an appointment outside of the home I have to go to the insurance office and have them make me a temporary card. I can only do this on the day of an appointment. This always makes everything a little more tricky. I have filled out a change of address twice and my husband has done it once in the insurance office, but the cards still didn't come to our house. Finally someone from the office told me that I had to go to the Social Security office to change his address because he is disabled. That's why I wasn't getting his cards at my house. Well, the Social Security Office is no place to drop in quickly and get out. I mean, you need to pack a lunch (not that you can eat in there but you get the point.) It takes forever!

So, I decide today is the day I will go there because I had to cancel one of Miles' appointments today because the office would not take a temporary card. I was determined to go and just wait out the crowd. I got a babysitter for the kids, grabbed a card making kit that I got from my Secret Sister yesterday (thank you) and off I went. Before I could go there I had to chase down Randy at his office and get some legitimate mail to prove that I live where I live. Of course that was in total opposite direction of where I needed to be, but I pressed through.

So, I get to the SS office and it was packed! I went to the automated 1st window and had to explain to the touch computer screen what I needed. The computer told me to wait while it printed me a number. He gave me B248. I found a seat and began to pull out my card making stuff. At first I was a little self conscience, but then I thought...Hey, at least I'm not bored. I quickly got into it and I was excited that I was using my waiting time so well.

While I was sitting there I was eaves dropping (one of my favorite past times). I was listening to a grandmother speaking to a nurse that was in front of her. The grandmother was telling her about how her daughter had been very sick. They chatted for awhile before the nurse was called up to the window with a real person in it.

That left the grandmother, her husband and her grandson to talk. I didn't hear anything they were saying but I caught myself praying for the young man. He was about 15. I kept seeing him lay his head on his grandmother's shoulder and she would rub his head kindly. The grandpa had a sweet smile and he kept making the boy laugh. I figured that the grandparents were raising the young man and I began to pray that they would raise him in a way that he would be able to function well as an adult.

Well, I was a busy bee making my cards when the grandparents number was called. B241. "Bingo" the grandma called. I couldn't help but smile at her. As soon as the grandparents got up the young man looked at me and said, "I never thought we were going to be here so long!" I told him that I had a feeling I would be that's why I brought along a project. After I said that he got up out of his seat and came to sit by me. That's when he began to tell me about his Mom. She died just last week of a massive heart attack. She was sick her whole life and she already had 5 heart attacks before the last one. She was in and out of hospitals for so long, and she finally told her husband that she didn't want to go anymore. My heart was broken for him. First of all I was so amazed that he would come over to me and tell me these things. I felt so honored. I sat there and cried while he told me about his Mom and his last week with her. I asked him his name and he said it was Josh. I told Josh that I would be praying for him all day. He had the softest face and thanked me wholeheartedly. He told me that his Mom was full of faith. He also told me that last week he spent most of his time in the chapel. The doctors finally showed his family his Mom's brain scan and her brain was dead. She was on life support and they had to decide to keep her on it or to take her off. He said, "I didn't want to make that decision so I told God that he was going to have to make that call, and He did. Pretty soon after that she died." I just kept saying, "Oh, Sweetheart. I'm so sorry." I never call anyone sweetheart. I even surprised myself by saying it, but I figured it was what the Lord wanted me to say. Then he told me something amazing. He said, "I know people might think I'm crazy but I told the Lord I would like to have one more conversation with my Mom." He knew that her brain was dead but he wanted to talk to her one more time. He said that after he prayed that she was totally alert and looking at him and they were able to have their own conversation together. He said that her face was totally normal and she was talking to him. She didn't look sick at all. Soon after that she died.

Here I am crying for him, having no answers or words of wisdom, but deep compassion for him and his family. His grandparents were done with their business. They had gone up there to terminate the Mom's insurance since she had died. As they were leaving I grabbed his hand and told him again that I would be praying for him. He thanked me so warmly that I can't get his sweet face out of my head.

As soon as his foot hit the door my number was called B248. Bingo! I thought. Not because it was my turn, but because God had been Master of my day.


JesusFreak said...

I love the way God loves us. I hope I get to talk to someone like you next time I am in the Social Security office!

Pamelotta said...

PRAISE JESUS!!! That is what it is all about. You are so faithful with the time (and the tasks) that God gives you. That just makes me so excited to be alive and on this earth for such a time as this. I'm going to try that tomorrow morning. I'll let you know what happens!

A-Laugh said...

I had to get a blog in order to leave a comment. I enjoy reading your blog. You always have something enlightening to say.

Ashlee said...

Wow!! That is amazing! Isn't it wonderful how God can make appointments for us with the best people!

Tangerine Tinselbreeze said...

I have been buzzing with anticipation of the purposes my life carries. I am blessed to know you as a sister and servant. Isn't it a rush to be the clay as he molds you each day. I love how each day you are not stuck as one vase that is so hardened, any event in the day can break you- but that you can give yourself(vessel) over to HIM so that he can gently break you and mold you into His Craftmanship, His vessel for the transfer of His Holy Spirit - Do you realize you were that boy's mothers' answer to prayer as well? If you were dying would not one of your prayers be that throughout your children's lives God would place people filled with love and compassion to sit next to and minster to your children in all circumstances. What a loving God we serve! I am proud to know you.

High in Demand said...

Thank you Trish. You write so beautifully. Thank you for always going out of your way to encourage me.

ericaprosser said...

really, just wow.