Monday, April 16, 2007

The Lord Almighty

In the book Waking the Dead by John Eldredge he was talking about when he was reading the book of Jeremiah and he came upon a passage that referred to God as “the Lord Almighty.” He had mentioned that the reference to God as the Lord Almighty didn’t really resonate with him because it sounded too religious. He thought it sounded too churchy. So he was looking up what that name meant in translation.
In the Hebrew it means “the God of angel armies, “the God of the armies who fight for his people.” The God who is at war.
Before he read the translation he thought that “the Lord Almighty” sounded like “the God who is up there but still in charge. Powerful and in control.” I never thought about the name before personally, but I would agree that I thought “the Lord Almighty” meant that as well.
Then he went on to say, “The God of angel armies sounds like the one who would roll up his sleeves, take up sword and shield to break down gates of bronze, and cut through bars of iron to rescue me.”

When I read that yesterday (and today) my spirit leapt! That is what I need! I need my Lord Almighty, the God of angel armies who fights for his people to come and rescue my son. I need him to come and rescue my sister in law from cancer. I need him to break down gates of diagnoses, and cut through bars of disease to rescue them. I need The God who is at War to bring Miles and Sharon great Victories!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mmmmmmmmmm....

ericaprosser said...

I did not mean to be anonymous!

Brenda M Becker said...

Amen. So Be It!