Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Using Your Gifts

In light of what I wrote yesterday I thought this excerpt from the book The Journey of Desire by John Eldredge went together nicely. He writes:
During a long layover at O’Hare, I studied the man who sells popcorn from a little stand in one of the terminal hallways. He sat silently, every fifteen minutes or so, someone would stop and buy a bag. He would scoop the popcorn from the bin, take the money, and make change-all without a word being spoken between them. When the brief encounter was over, he would resume his place on the stool, staring blankly, his shoulders hunched over. I wondered at his age; he seemed well past fifty. How long had that been his profession? Could he possibly make a living at it? His face wore a weary expression of resignation tinged with shame. Adam, I thought, what happened? Did he know how far his situation was from his true design? Somehow he knew, even if he didn’t know the Story. His sadness was testimony to it.
Some people love what they do. They are the fortunate souls, who have found a way to link what they are truly gifted at (and therefore what brings them joy) with a means of paying the bills.

Back to me writing now…That made me sad to think about that popcorn man being so far away from his true design. Nothing is wrong with selling popcorn of course, but I’m hoping you know what I mean. He obviously didn’t think it was his dream job or he would have taken more interest in the customers. Anyway, I’m thankful that right now I’m doing what I’m called to do. Even though I’m not making any money by staying at home I’m content because I was made to do this. I’m gifted at being a creative and loving Mom. I’m gifted in the area of training up my children in the way they should go. I always want to be fulfilled in my workplace. I always want to be able to use my giftings that the Lord has placed in me. Anyway, I just wanted to share that with you today.

No comments: